On this page, we explain what equipment you should take with you when climbing Ben Nevis during the Winter months.
ITEMS THAT YOU MUST BRING
- A thermal layer for under your waterproofs. A thick jumper or better still a fleece jacket.
- A vest or some T shirts. Polartec gear is great for winter walking.
- A hat
- Pair of gloves (VERY warm)
- Winter walking kegs (trousers)
- Warm pair of socks
- Torch (preferably a head torch)
- Small first aid kit (inc. blister pack)
- A Note-pad and pen/pencil
- A good quality flask (metal flasks can be obtained in the hotel – £7.50)
- A good quality compass (Silva type are best)
- A 1:25,000 map covering the whole of the Nevis area
- Note on Maps. Please get an Ordinance Survey map, not any other type.
ITEMS THAT YOU MAY EITHER USE YOUR OWN OR OURS
- Pair of winter plastic boots with a separate inner liner
- Set of crampons
- An Ice Pick
- Water proofs
- Rucksack (about 35 litre in size)
- Normal Walking boots for Friday afternoon.
ITEMS THAT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO BRING
- Pair of snow gaiters
- Walking poles (with snow bucket bases).
- Beer money
- Swimming Cozie (there is a leisure centre in the Hotel)
- A Pair of sun glasses.